Saturday, February 2, 2008

Slow Boats and Fast Cars

I took a couple of weeks off from hiking to spend some time with my friend Javier while he is in Florida on a business trip. After his meetings were over we spent a couple of days relaxing in Ocala National Forest. We visited Blue Springs to walk and watch the Manatees, then spent a day canoeing at Juniper Springs. I have run Juniper many times in a kayak, but paddling a heavy aluminum rental canoe is a whole different experience. Especially when the paddler in the rear thinks they are an outboard motor! We had a lot of laughs and great fun.

After a day of walking and visiting the Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings homestead I think Javi had had enough of the "real" Florida and was ready for something more fast paced. Unbelievably, we ended up at Daytona Raceway where I watched cars going round and round in circles for several hours.

Hiking will resume in a couple of days.

No comments: