Saturday, March 21, 2009

First Weekend Exploring

For my first "weekend" off my Saturday fell on friday, and Sunday on Saturday. Didn't make much difference to me, I was looking forward to getting out and exploring.

First business of my time off was to drive to Page to visit with the HR folks at Forever Resorts. They run the Lodge at the North Rim, where I had already secured a job for the summer, but I had applied for a different position coordinating the interpretation programs for the Lodge to ensure they meet National Park Service expectations and complement, not duplicate any existing NPS programs. I got the job and will be heading into the North Rim in mid to late April. Woohoo!

After getting that business out of the way I skipped over to Lake Powell for the night. Waking up this morning to a gorgeous sunrise just started the day off right. the remainder of the day was spend visiting a couple of BLM offices to get hiking maps, brochures etc., then finally it was time to get out and hike. The closest place I could find to hike that was on the way home was the Toadstools. What a great way to spend a couple of hours walking in the sun.

Towards the end of my hike the wind picked up and I found out first hand how the process of erosion works! I was sandblasted all the way back to the RV, then sideswiped by winds all the way home. It's still very windy now, maybe the windiest it has been since i got here last Sunday. The RV is rockin and rollin like I'm still moving, even though I'm parked!

View more pictures at: my Picasa album

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Janette,

We're really hoping to see the North Rim this year. The last time we tried it was still snowed in.

This year I've had lunch with Paulina in Tampa (she has a lovely little girl) and with Stacey up in North Carolina.

I had the opportunity to give them both recommendations for new jobs and both time it worked out for them. The people that work for you are more important than your own efforts.

Sounds like you've done a lateral arabesque, career-wise. Good for you. Life is short.

Maybe we'll see you in May...Maybe not...

Phred.Firecloud@gmail.com