Monday, October 22, 2007

San Zoilo


WOW! How can you put a couple of the most intensely emotional and unexpectedly fun weeks of your life into words?

This past week was spent at the competitor English language program run by VaughanTown at San Zoilo monastery in Conde de los Carrion. I was correct in my assumptio that both programs were essentially the same. Both were staffed by an Anglo Master of Ceremonies and a Spanish Program Director, who traveled with the group, and whose primary function was to encourage the group bonding experience and keep the program flowing, as well as dealing with minor issues that arose during the week (Dr visits, heating issues, etc.) The host locations, while being very different were very attractive and comfortable, both situated on the outskirts of a small historic village, and both had their own charms and attraction. The food was good, the wine flowed freely at mealtimes, but the absolute make or break enjoyment factor came from the participants, who were about as diverse as one could possibly imagine in a group of around 40 adults. One to one conversations, which I had expected would remain on a fairly superficial level, actually ranged from the simplest subjects to intriguing, socio-political, religious, and personal matters. From mature to juvenile, borderline psychotherapy, serious, humorous, and everything in between. If that were not enough, mealtime sessions were even more animated and hilarious. It is amazing how a simple explanation of any topic can go totally off on a tangent at the simple miscommunication, or explanation of a word or idiom! No topic was sacred!

This week I knew alittle better what to expect. I was pretty exhausted already from the over participation in the previous week's activities, and my voice was somewhat strained. Undaunted, I engaged Pedro in a four hour long conversation on the ride to northern Spain. The bus got a little lost, but it was a pleasant detour following the Camino de Santiago. Our accomodation for the week was at the restored Monastery of San Zoilo. The rooms were lovely (wouldn't it have been nice to get a picture?), and the weather continued sunny and warm, though still a little chilly in the mornings for me. The Monastery was very close to town, a nice easy stroll for the one to one sessions. The Camino passes through the center of town and the hiker and biker pilgrims were out in force. The Monastery itself is beautiful, with the cloisters and church also available for walking one to ones. The hotel was open to other guests as well as our group, so the after dinner drinking tended to be a little more subdued and earlier to finish.

It didn't dampen the experience though, I had great fun again, and met more wonderful new friends from all over the world and all over Spain. I think I am particularly most likely to stay in contact with Nigel and Stephanie, who live not to far from my parents in England, and Javier from Madrid. I'm sure I will be back in Madrid sometime in the next year or so, and Javi is intending to be in Orlando early next year.

I will definitely be back for more.

View more photos in my Picasa album

No comments: