Monday, December 17, 2007

Finishing up the Western Corridor Roadwalks

What a difference a couple of days can make. Last week we were seeking shade and breeze for breaks. Now, a rainy front a couple of days ago has left breezy and much cooler conditions that we have experienced the past few weeks. The next couple of days are supposed to be even colder!

Still, there's hiking to be done, so I just concentrated on getting into the sunny spots and out of the breeze.


The past couple of days I have been hiking alone again. My hiking partner Ian decided some time ago not to hike the Western Corridor, while I chose to hike most of it in short day hike and weekend chunks as it is close to my home. I have completed the entire 222 miles of the Western with the exception of a couple of short road walks connecting the weekend hikes. Ian needed a couple of days off to get some chores done, so I figured it was time to complete the Western connections. I'm shuttling myself using my car and bicycle, so though the hikes aren't particularly strenuous, adding the shuttling in adds some complexity.

First of the three connecting sections was the northernmost section of the Withlacoochee State bicycle trail, through Dunellon, crossing the Withlacoochee and Rainbow rivers, then out alongside the busy highway for the final 5 miles to Pruitt. Later the same day I also connected a tiny couple of miles from Hog Island to the south end of the Withlacoochee State trail.

The hike for the final day started at Richloam Fire Tower, then after only a mile in the woods, followed busy roadsides before turning onto a quieter country road for the last few miles into River Junction. The only things worthy of the camera today were the Little Withlacoochee River and a rather garish Christmas display where I stopped for lunch.

View more photos in my Picasa album

No comments: