Monday, March 31, 2008

Trujillo and Merida - Spain

After VaughanTown finished Javier and I decided we wanted to stay in the area for a weekend of relaxation. We drove round the National Park for a while before ending up in Trujillo, a nice old town with a moorish style castle on the hilltop. We found a nice hotel in a converted old building with a mezzanine great room and high ceilings in all the rooms. Very nice. We also found a little cafe with a set meal menu. I really don't know what I ate, except the soup was full of mushrooms and potatoes,and the main dish was pork of some kind. It was so good I went back for the same thing the next night after we had toured the castle and some of the town. On my last trip to Spain I saw a few storks on the large nest in La Alberca and Carrion de las Condes, but they evaded me every time I was carrying the camera. Here in Trujillo I finally managed to get some cooperation and photos of storks on their nests.

From Trujillo we explored Merida, once the administrative capital of the Roman province of Lusitania. We spent the afternoon wandering round the ruins of old roman villas, with mosaic floors, and then the ruined amphitheatre, the best example of an old roman theatre I have seen, and the city museum.


For the last day we were hoping to do some walking in a local area famous for the cherry tree blossom. As hard as it is to believe after the gorgeous weather of the previous day, it rained and was bitterly cold all day! We eventually found some cherry trees, but we're not sure that we were actually in the right place. We drove on to Avila, a medieval walled town, but by then it was raining turning to sleet and snow, so definitely not suitable for sightseeing.

Now we're back in Madrid and I'm heading to England to see the family tomorrow.


View more photos in my Picasa album

No comments: