Friday, March 28, 2008

Monfrague - VaughanTown

This purpose of this trip to Spain was to spend another week at VaughanTown, the English language conversation program that provides room and board for volunteers in return for conversing in English with Spanish students for a week.

I had chosen to attend this particular program as my friend Javier, who I met at my last VaughanTown in Carrion de los Condes, is attending again as the final part of his English Masters program. The program was held in Monfrague, a large rugged National Park. Usually participants, both the Spainsh students and the Anglo conversationeers would travel by bus. We have decided to remain in the area round Monfrague afterwards, so Javi drove us down in his car, accompanied by Juan, another participant in my previous program.

The program itself was only so-so. My previous experiences with these programs have all been positive, but I am disappointed to say that this one was not very enjoyable. This is a new location for VaughanTown. The food was definitely not up to previous standards, and the coordinators for the program did not show as much interest in making it a success as I had experienced in the past.

We've made the most of the week though. The scenery at Monfrague was impressive. As we had access to the vehicle we managed to spend some time visiting the castle, actually more of an outpost on a rocky outcrop, and watching the many birds that nest in this area.

View photos

No comments: